Brussels, Thursday 23 November 2017
What are the challenges Belgium will have to face as a consequence of climate change?
Heat waves, floods, drought, storms and other extreme natural events will become increasingly frequent and intense. Such events will have a major impact on several sectors of our society (health, transport, economy, energy, natural risk management,…).
The goal of this conference is to inform the actors from these different sectors and make them aware of the expected effects of climate change in Belgium and of the initiatives that are taken – at European and Belgian level – to adapt our society to those future changes. On this occasion, the new Belgian climate change scenarios drawn up in 2017 by a consortium of researchers will be presented. The conference will initiate a cycle of round table meetings aimed at key sectors for adaptation to climate change.
- 9:00-9:30: Welcome
- 9:30-9:45: Introductive speech and goals of the workshop (initiation of a cycle of future round table meetings) (Sylviane Bilgischer, president of the NCC)
- 9:45-10:05: EU Strategy Adaptation and assessment of Belgium's performance in adaptation matters (Elena Visnar Malinovska, European Commission)
- 10:05-10:25: Assessment of the impacts and vulnerability to climate change in Europe (André Jol, EEA)
- 10:25-10:45: Covenant of Mayors (Lucie Blondel)
- 10:45-11:15: Break
- 11:15-11:35: Adaptation in Belgium (Julien Hoyaux, AWAC, coordinator of the NCC's working group on adaptation)
- 11:35-12:00: The new Belgian climate scenarios (Piet Termonia, RMI, coordinator of the CORDEX.be project)
- 12:00-12:30: Local initiatives: the Antwerp case (Griet Lambrechts, city of Antwerp)
- 12:30-12:40: Multilevel government and support on climate adaptation (Griet Verstraeten, Departement Omgeving)
- 12:40-13:00: Sectoral priorities (Claire Collin, FPS Health, Food Chain Safety and Environment)
- 13h00-14h00: Lunch
- Environment Brussels
- Tour et Taxis, Avenue du port 86c
- 1000 Brussels
For your information, the Denktank KlimaatAdaptatie Vlaanderen event: adapt for life! will take place on December 14 in the afternoon in Brussels. Please find more details and register at this web page.